Library Construction Update
Date:24 March 2017 14:49 PM
Work at the Library on the Albany Tourism and Information Hub will begin in early April. The first stage of construction involves the erection of an internal hoarding wall in the library space, which will reach from floor to ceiling. It has been determined that to keep the public safe it will be necessary to close the library building for a week from Monday 3rd April until Friday 7th April. The library will be open on Saturday 8th April. From the 10th April the library will re-open for normal opening hours.
From today you will notice minor movements beginning both in the Library and outside the building. These changes are in preperation of larger changes beginning from next week. These should not cause much disruption to normal library operation.
Late-April through to mid-May will be the most disruptive in relation to library operations. It will be the time when the demolition of part of the library building and clearing of the site occurs. Consequently, library hours will be intermittent. We will keep you posted of the exact details of amended opening hours as construction progresses via our website, social media, information posters and onsite staff.
If you’ve been reluctant, reticent or simply IT challenged!!!! This period is a great opportunity to spend some time acquainting yourself with the vast online Library eResources available 24/7! Dive in and discover a world of knowledge, entertainment and fun.., at your fingertips. Our library ‘digital doctors’ located in the sea container will be available to assist you to access these resources from your electronic devices. The outside return chute will also be accessible for returning items.
Being mindful of the temporary inconvenience these closures and disruptions will have on our valued patrons, steps have been taken to extend the borrowing period on all items until the 15th of May. An amnesty will also be granted for any administrative fees that may arise as a consequence of the disruptions. From Wednesday March 29th the reservation hold period will be extended to 12 working days. This will give patrons the opportunity to pick up reserves when the library re-opens on Saturday April 8th.
While the library is closed, where it is safe to do so, staff will be reconfiguring and readjusting the library space to make the library as accessible and user friendly within the constraints of the construction plan. A reminder of some of the changes you will see when the library re-opens are:
- All the PC’s from the study room and downstairs area will be moved upstairs to the AHC reading room.
- The downstairs PC area will now be used for the audio-visual collection, including DVDs and sound recordings.
- Two public PCs will be made available downstairs for people unable to use the stairs.
- The junior area will be moved into the Adult Fiction area.
- Large Print books will remain in the same place.
- The Adult Fiction Quick Pick shelves will be expanded to include more titles as most of collection will be relocated upstairs.
- The Young Adult area will be moved upstairs.
- The foyer area will become a reading space for magazines and newspapers, with the magazine shelf moved downstairs.
- The New Arrivals/Reservations area will now hold selected titles from the Adult Non-Fiction (upstairs) area.
- The front counter area will be reconfigured and compressed to accommodate the reduced space.
- A library staff member will be permanently located upstairs to assist patrons.
A reminder that the Albany History Collection has moved to the Cooperative (Co-op) Building on Frederick Street and will re-open from March 27th. The Albany Regional Family History Society and UWA Overnight Loan collections will also be relocated at the Co-op.
- Monday 3th April to Friday 7th April - Library will be closed.
- Saturday 8th April – Open 9am to 1pm.
- From Monday 10th April – Normal library opening hours.